Required Attachments for Contractor Registration

  • All contractors are required to fill out an application for a new registration and at the time of the yearly renewal.
  • A contractor with employees must send a Certificate of Insurance from the workers' compensation insurance company showing the effective date of coverage and listing the Iowa Division of Labor as the certificate holder or a copy of a Certificate of Relief issued by the Iowa Insurance Division, if self-insured.
  • Most contractors must send a check or money order in the amount of $50.00 to pay the registration fee.  Self-employed contractors who meet the criteria may send a completed fee exemption form instead of payment.  To qualify for registering without payment, a self-employed contractor must not work with or for other contractors in the same phases of construction and must not pay more than $2,000.00 per year to employ other people in the business.
  • Out-of-state contractors must file a $25,000.00 surety bond at the time of registration and renewing. The bond must be issued by a surety company licensed to do business in Iowa on the out-of-state bond form provided.