Wage Payment Collection and Minimum Wage

Division of Labor COVID-19 office updates

The Wage and Hour Division’s (WHD) primary resource is the WHD COVID-19 Official Webpage

Departmental national dialogue on the implementation of the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) The ideas and comments gathered from this dialogue will inform compliance assistance guidance, resources, and tools, as well as outreach approaches, that assist employers and employees in understanding their responsibilities and rights under the FFCRA. The dialogue will remain open until the close of business on April 10.  

CDC’s primary resource is the CDC COVID-19 Official Web Page. This page is being updated routinely and we encourage you to review it frequently.  Recent guidance released and housed on this page includes:

·CDC COVID-19 Guidance Documents

Employee Rights - Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA or Act)

·Strategies to Optimize PPE and Equipment (Healthcare)

The World Health Organization’s (WHO) primary resource is the WHO COVID-19 Webpage.

The Iowa Division of Labor enforces Iowa wage law, including the Iowa minimum wage. If you have not been paid what you are owed you may file a wage claim. One of the most common reasons for underpayment is illegal deductions.  You may also be owed unpaid vacation, unreimbursed employee expenses or unpaid commissions.  

Wage Claims

To file a wage claim, complete the Wage Claim Form (Reclamacion de Salarios) and submit it to us. For further information see Steps in the Wage Claims Process and Iowa Code and Administrative Rules.

After you submit a wage claim we will review it and contact the employer. We will further investigate and collect due wages by voluntary payment if possible. If that is not possible, the matter may proceed to small claims court where there may be additional recovery of liquidated damages and attorney fees.

The Iowa Division of Labor does not accept claims for wages when one of the following applies:

  • It has been more than one year since the wages were due.
  • The amount owed is more than $6,500.00.
  • The work was not performed in Iowa.

You also have the right to sue on your own or by a private attorney.  You also have the option to contact the U.S. Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Office, which enforces overtime law.

Wage Quick Links

Contact the Wage Staff
Claim for Wages - English
Reclamacion de Salarios
Employer Response Form
Wage Frequently Asked Questions
Steps in a Wage Claim Process
Iowa Minimum Wage Poster
Wage Iowa Code and Administrative Rules
U.S. Department of Labor
Elaws Advisor
Open Records Requests